Thursday, November 25, 2010

Conflict May Be Expressed Overtly or Covertly


Conflict is inevitable in any relationship. This doesn’t always have to be a negative thing. There are 5 principles of interpersonal conflict. Our book discusses the 5 principles in detail from pages 225-230. I would like to focus primarily on the second principle but I’d like to quickly summarize all five principles for context and clarity. The first principle states that conflict is both natural and inevitable. The second principle discusses the two different ways conflict can be communicated, covertly and overtly. Third, conflict styles and meanings are shaped by social location. The fourth principle states that how we manage conflict influences its resolution and its impact on interpersonal climates. Lastly, the fifth principle shows us that conflict can be constructive for individuals and relationships. “We can build on these principles by discussing diverse ways that people approach and respond to conflict,” (pg. 230).
I would like to focus on Principle 2: Conflict may be expressed overtly or covertly. Overt conflict is out in the open and explicit (pg. 226). This type of conflict exists when people deal with their differences in a direct, straightforward manner. For example, depending on the couple they might engage in a shouting match, argue about their ideas in an intense manner, or they might calmly discuss their disagreement directly. In the heat of an argument I tend to always steer towards calmly discussing the disagreement with people I really care about. I like trying to resolve the conflict in the moment and as quickly as possible in order to be able to move on from that issue. However, when dealing with co-workers, class-mates, or acquaintances I might engage in more covert strategies of conflict.

Physical Violence is never acceptable

Covert conflict exists when people express their feelings and disagreements indirectly (pg. 226). If I am angry at another person, I might try to do something to hurt or upset them. I don’t think this is the healthy way to deal with conflict but if I’m not as invested in the relationship I tend not to put as much effort in and just react. A common form of covert conflict is passive aggression, which is acting aggressively while denying feelings or acting aggressive. The women in my family tend to engage in yelling matches and direct verbal putdowns while my dad is very passive aggressive. He will sometimes act cold and distant all while denying that anything is wrong at all.
When I think of overt conflict a specific television episode of Friends comes to mind. In the episode, Ross and Rachael have recently got back together after a long time apart. Ross and Rachael have an openly aggressive yelling match directed at each other right in front of their friends. They reveal intimate details about each other in order to embarrass the other person while also engaging in general putdowns and jabs. Be the judge for yourself if this clip is an example of overt or covert conflict.

7 comments:

  1. Funny you bring up this topic considering I came across these videos on Youtube, expressing love, anger and sadness overtly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaTVyf6dzOE
    They are almost freaky like the film "The Ring," but not as much. Take a peek and let me know what you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AM SANDRA FROM CANADA, THANKS TO DR ONIHA WHO HELP ME BRING MY HUSBAND BACK, MY HUSBAND LEFT ME WITH THREE KIDS, FOR ANOTHER YOUNG GIRL, FOR OVER TWO YEARS, I TRIED ALL I COULD TO SETTLED OUR DIFFRENCES, BUT IT YIELDED NO RESULT, I WAS THE ONE TAKING CARE OF THE CHILDREN ALONE, UNTIL ONE DAY, I CAME IN CONTACT WITH SOME ARTICLES ONLINE, CONTAINING HOW DR ONIHA HAS HELP SO MANY LOVERS AND FAMILY REUNION AND REUNIT AGAIN, AND I DECIDED TO CONTACT HIM, AND HE CAST HIS SPELL ON MY HUSBAND, WITHIN FIVE DAYS, MY HUSBAND RAN BACK HOME, AND WAS BEGGING ME AND THE KIDS FOR FORGIVENESS, IN CASE YOU ARE PASSING THROUGH SIMILAR PROBLEMS, AND YOU WANTS TO CONTACT DR ONIHA, YOU CAN REACH HIM VIA HIS CONTACT NUMBER, ON CALL OR WHATSAP +2347089275769 OR EMAIL DRONIHASPELL@YAHOO.COM

      Delete
  2. I did not enjoy watching that. The sound in the background was disturbing. It sounded like someone sitting on a plastic covered couch. It looked as if the person in the video was cursing a lot and talking to themself in a hurried manner. What is the relevance with this video and overt expressions of conflict?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, the video illustrates an example of overt conflict. Clearly distinguish from covert conflict, the yelling, putting emotions forward, can transform conflict to a violent one. Overt conflict discourages third party intervention for settling or resolving the conflict.

      Delete
  3. Yes it was strange I know, But this film was part of a series of non-verbal emotions expressed overtly, but without the words. In these instances we get a glimpse of what someones facial reactions and expressions would look like if they were in an overt conflict. This was one of the 5 films, the others express other emotions. So in a sense I posted this as an example of what someones face might look like with overtly expressing anger in a heated conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! That makes a lot more sense. At first, the video was so confusing because when I think of overt conflict I think of outloud discussion. After hearing your explanation of the video, I think it is interesting to examine the face of someone who is expressing themselves overtly without hearing the sound. They look so upset, torn, sad, and angry. Thanks for the different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband changed dramatically towards me, doesn’t communicate anymore.He disrespects me and accuses me falsely of infidelity because of wicked gossip …but I’m simply AMAZED at the results of Dr. Todd who did reunion love spell for me. Everything is going so well and EXACTLY how he said it would be. Even though it took 3 days to fully progress, it was so worth it because things are just about at perfection! How he took my situation and completely turned it around to give me exactly what I wanted is beyond me, but something I will never question and just be completely grateful, God Bless Dr.Todd for turning sorrow happiness. Dr.Todd's contact; manifestspellcast @ gmail. com
    WhatsApp:+1 604 901 9747

    ReplyDelete