Sunday, October 17, 2010

Guidelines for Improving Verbal Communication: Respect What Others Say about Their Feelings and Thoughts


80's Aerobics Night
                                                               Chapter 4 discusses various ways we can improve the effectiveness in our verbal communication. I personally enjoyed reading about the section that dealt with respecting what others say about their feelings and thoughts. The book discusses various ways people can make you feel stupid for thinking or feeling something different from them. As an effective communicator, you should not dispute or put down what others say about what they think or feel. If you do not feel the same way as someone else, you can find a way to respect their feelings because they are an expert on their own feelings. Also, the author discusses how disconfirming it is to speak for someone else when they are able to speak for themselves. It is impossible to know completely what another person is thinking or feeling so we should not try to speak for them when they are capable of doing so for themselves. It is also important not to assume to know how someone from another culture feels or thinks because you cannot fully know what they are going through unless you share a common culture. Lastly, the author encourages the reader to respect and learn about perspectives, thoughts and feelings that differ from our own. Wood said, "Inviting others to clarify, extend, or explain their communication enlarges understanding between people."
     I am a volunteer in the high school ministry at my church. I love working with Jr. high and high school aged students. They are struggling to find their identities, eager to learn, and full of surprises (some good and some bad). I have my own small group of girls that consists of freshman and sophomore girls. I love hearing what these girls have to say; and believe me, they have a lot to say. This wasn't always the case. When I first volunteered with these girls when they were in 6th grade I wanted to mold them. I wanted to make good little Christian girls that would go off into the world and change it, make it better. At no point to I consider making time for random chit chat about their personal lives or just hanging out with them at the mall. I wanted to speak truth into their lives, have them hear me, and be moved to action. I could not have gone about working with young girls in a worse way. I did not account for the fact that I was working with young women in the making. I did not consider their thoughts or feelings as valid or take them into consideration at all.


     My first year of ministry was a struggle because I did not validate or encourage my girls to share their thoughts and feelings. They were able to speak for themselves, yet I tried to speak on their behalf because I thought I knew better. As time went on and I received input from other friends and leaders about how to be more effective with my students. The next year I shifted my focus from development to friendship. I really needed to start being a friend to these girls if I was ever going to gain their trust and respect. We started getting lunch on the weekends, toilet papering at 3am, watching Twilight at the Terra Vista $5 movie theater. After establishing a relationship with these young girls I developed genuine care about who they were and what they thought. I wanted to hear about what Jennie said about Sarah when she found out that Timmy was dating her best friend Jane. I wanted to know how Pam was dealing with her parents divorce and how that made her feel. I wanted to understand what it was like for Jane to go home to an abusive mother and a father who just watched.

  Over the years I have come to view these girls as young women who have a voice and aren't afraid to use it. I know I am eager to listen and learn about the internal struggles these girls go through everyday. I love hearing about their victories and triumphs. I love hearing them put their thoughts and feelings into words so not only I can hear them, but so others can start to hear them as well. I know I had the horrible thought that young adults opinions and feelings were not worth listening to or acknowledging. I also know that there are teachers, parents, and many other adults who feel that way now. I would hope that everyone could come to the conclusion that no matter what age are, we are all experts on our own thoughts and feelings and no one should make us doubt that for one second.  


5 comments:

  1. You had excellent examples for considering others feeling when it comes to verbal communication. I think so many times as an older person in a group, to siblings or whatever the case may be, we try to speak for them. This is a big problem with parents, where in many cases they are quick to answer for their children or speak their ideas for them. I think it great for you as a role model to these girls that you teach them, that they can communicate for themselves and that you are giving them the opportunity to learn expression through language. Not many people are able to communicate effectively (We see this everyday), but most importantly is recognizing it and being the example for everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your feedback Anthony. I liked the point you made about parents trying to speak for their children. Have you personally experienced this in your own life or seen this in another close context? If so, how did that impact your ability to express your thoughts and feelings with others?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have experienced this first hand. Growing up around trouble makers, In grade school I always seemed to get caught up in whatever situation was going on around my friend Chris and Jay. Every time they got in trouble for something they could never answer for themselves, they always stayed very quiet until there mother arrived or had to apologize for them. With them as my neighbors, I could see the pattern of how they were unable to communicate nor apologize for their wrong doings. Their mother who was very well spoken and articulate, did all the talking for them. I believe this put a huge strain on their communication skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely. I'm surprised how well adjusted my sister's and I turned out because my mother loves to speak for everyone. My sister's and I are all very confident in our communication abilities. Maybe we observed our mother's behavior and merely mimicked her communication skills in our relationships. I know I have struggled with speaking for others when they were capable of speaking for them selves. I'm glad I learned early on to be aware of that behavior and to try and reduce the frequency in which it occurs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the examples you used to illustrate this concept!!! BRAVO!!

    ReplyDelete